A primer on voiceover demos
When should you make a demo? What is it for? Get the highlights on voiceover demos in this five-minute video.
This video offers a very high-level view of demos. Namely when to record a demo and what to use it for. Here is a highlight of those highlights 🙂
- A demo is a highlight reel of your best work (like how much I’m using the word “highlight” here?)
- You can put it on your website
- You can try to get agency representation with it
- You can send it to potential clients to showcase your abilities
- You can post it on pay-to-play sites
- You should display a range of styles/tones on your demo
- Putting together a quality demo is an art and a science
- Work with a qualified demo producer and/or coach to make your demo
- Don’t make a demo as a first move when you get into the voiceover industry
- A good, professional demo will cost you
- BUT you can make a homemade sample reel in the meantime to post on your site and on pay-to-plays; the DIY demo is not meant to be sent to agencies
How and when to create a voice over demo reel is a subject often discussed in The Voice Over Success Intensive Membership.